Military Service Records

General Information:

Military personnel are encouraged to file their official military discharge papers--DD214--with the County Clerk in the county of their residence.  Texas Local Government Code, Section 192.002 states the County Clerk may not charge a fee for the recording and keeping of a military discharge record.


In additionTexas Government Code, Section 552.140 (a) (b) defines the military discharge record as confidential for 75 years from the day it is recorded if filed on or after September 1, 2003.  Only qualified applicants may obtain certified copies free of charge.


DD214s can be filed at the Grimes County Clerk's office at no charge.  The original will be returned at the time of filing.

Request Military Service Records

Recent military service and medical records are not online. However, most veterans and their next of kin can obtain free copies of their DD Form 214 (Report of Separation) and the following military service records any of the ways listed below.  


You may request military service records (including DD 214) if you are:

  • A military veteran, or
  • Next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military.
    The next of kin can be any of the following:
    • Surviving spouse who has not remarried
    • Father
    • Mother
    • Son
    • Daughter
    • Sister
    • Brother

Public access depends on the discharge date:

Records are accessioned into the National Archives, and become archival, 62 years after the service member's separation from the military. This is a rolling date, the current year minus 62 years. See more information on records older than 62 years.

Archival records are open to the public and can be ordered online for a copying fee. See Access to Military Records by the General Public for more details.


Watch this video on how to request a DD-214 from the National Archives